Monday, January 09, 2006

Being John Malkovich

A couple of days back, I was watching "Being John Malkovich." Its all about a portal that allows you "to be somebody for sometime" and going a step further being able to manipulate that individual's actions. Borrowing the words in the movie, its "getting beneath the skin of another person."

While I can't remember right off, Hollywood has churned out movies of similar hue, many a times. The movie was off-beat and interesting. What struck me was the parallel that I started seeing with one of the tenets of Objectivism , a modern philosophy started by Ayn Rand....which goes like "Man-everyman- is an end in himself; not a means to the end of others." How true that majority of the people live a second-hand life by enchroaching upon other's souls or vice-versa....renting their souls.

Okay! that's enough of philosophy for the day. Lemme start planning my next ski-trip !! Looks like its gonna be at Mountain Creek, NY.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are some parts of Objectivism that make great sense, that is one of them.

Thanks for the insight.

1/10/2006 1:51 PM  
Blogger Venki said...

Allan! You are right. Even I don't completely agree with all tenets of Objectivism. I hope "Atlas Shrugged", supposedly culmination of Ayn Rand's attempt to put forth her liberal thoughts, would help me digest or egest certain aspects that I am still chewing.

1/11/2006 2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter