Monday, April 04, 2005

Ruston & Me

It’s been more than a month that I moved out of Ruston. And today I finally decided to write about it because I suddenly felt that, before long, Ruston would rust and wither off my fortunately-still-intact brain. Well, it might sound like my opinion about Ruston experience in nutshell. But then I dont wanna be very unfair. And the many intangible things that I learnt there would go unrequited. Not to speak of the master’s degree that it has earned for me.

Latech had been a “back to school at 31” experience for me. And in that it was a unique one. Landing in US for a master’s degree was more of an accident than a choice. I had never in my wildest of dreams thought would do anything like it. But looking back I am glad I did it. This "Back to school" thing, after 9 years of working in India, gave a fresh lease of life and seems to have taken away a couple of years off my age.....I bet nothing else could have done that for me.

Things I wont forget: University apartments, the "Mc D" house, a nighmarish research experience,the ghost house, tech station & perennial hunger, cybers, study sessions at Wily, the swimming pool, tennis sessions, numerous camping trips - espcially the bard spring one, two horrifying summers, endless parties, my conversion to "total non-vegetarianism".......I could go on and on.... but I have to stop now. Lots of other things to take care of.

2 Comments:

Blogger Venki said...

True! Life outside Ruston seems a lot very different.It is simply because we were carefree out there in Ruston and now we are all having to take responsibilities and be more accountable.In a way, this is better. Though I dont miss Ruston,I certainly miss our group there.
Cheers to our Ruston days !!

5/19/2005 8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Venki... I think you have done a great job describing your life at Ruston in a nutshell. Not too many people have this art of expressing themselves so beautifully.
Though I have not known you throughout your Ruston days, I still feel I know exactly what you experienced. It is definetly not easy to go to school after 8 years of working. But you did a commendable job. I am so proud of you. I completely agree with you about it taking a couple of years off your age. I have seen some old pictures of you and compared to what you look now, I really think it did wonders for you.
Wishing you success in everything you do…

6/07/2005 11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter